Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Preparing For Rain

A few months ago, Brian and I were at the Christian bookstore in our town.  We love bookstores, in case you didn't know.  We have a tendency to drop by one if we're out for dinner and just browse.  We rarely buy anything, but can spend two hours looking around.  This particular day, I did buy a book (which I highly recommend) and because I'm some manner of bonus card club member thingy I was able to buy a movie for $5.  We got Facing The Giants, because we've heard great things about the whole series.  Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Maybe this week?  A few weeks ago, I was at Brian's store and found the novelization of Facing The Giants.  Actually, I thought maybe the movie had been based off this book, so wanted to read it first.  Turns out it was the other way around, but I'm still glad I read it.  If you don't know the story of how this movie was made, please go check out the story.  

One of the concepts in this movie is "preparing for rain".  The head coach of the football team tells a story about two farmers who needed rain for their fields.  Both prayed to the Lord for rain.  One then sat around waiting for God to deliver.  The other went out and prepared his fields to receive the rain he knew God would send in answer to prayers.  The question posed in the movie/book was: Which farmer received the rain he needed?  The one who trusted the Lord enough to prepare his fields, of course.  The moral was to pray for what you need, then prepare to receive it.  Because you have to trust that the Lord will answer your prayers in order for Him to do it.  If you pray and "hope" that the Lord will do something for you, you're not trusting Him to do what He said He will.   This whole concept really spoke to me.  Expect to see more of it here on my blog, and hopefully in my life.  

What are you praying for?  Are you preparing for rain?

No comments: