Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dear Spring: Please Hurry Up!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just saw the first robin of Spring.  Yep.  Right out my backdoor.  

Big deal?  No, it really is.  Lemme explain....

Since I was a little girl, my mama always made a huge deal about the first robin she'd see.  Over the years it became almost a competition to see the first robin.  Mama always said you need something to look forward to; the first robin of Spring gets you through February and March with the promise of April.  It was one of those many very cool things about my childhood for which I'll always be thankful - that robin today stopped me in my tracks, brought a smile to my face, and made me think about opening the windows.  Of course, it's about 45 degrees here right now, and my feet are cold.  But the robin brought Spring as surely as anything could.  Suddenly I was four years old.  And I may have texted my mama to let her know that I won this year. 

No comments: