Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Surprisingly Okay With It

Last Tuesday evening one of my daycare parents told me that she's expecting. A baby, that is. I was so happy to hear it, as I love this little guy and think he'd make a great big brother. And they've done a stellar job raising their first child, so rock on.

After she told me, I had some time to think. I wonder if she was hesitant to tell me that she's pregnant since she knows what we've been dealing with, at least in part. I know if I were her, I'd be a little nervous and guilty feeling to tell an infertile woman that she'll get to take care of my next one. I really don't want people to feel this way! I hate to think that I've made someone uncomfortable or nervous. I am so happy for this family to be having another little blessing, and don't want them to dampen their enthusiasm for my sake.

That said, I do not always feel this way. I seriously hate to hear about yet another person who is having an unwanted baby, and feels saddled by that child. There are so many people who would love to adopt that baby, for the record. But, more to the point, I am infuriated by the fact that people can be so irresponsible and in return receive what I would give my right arm for and am trying so hard to achieve. That's annoying, quite frankly. So is hearing about how much someone's child bothers them. These things tend to make me react like a typical infertile.

However, I would never begrudge this family their happiness and I am so glad they've been blessed in this way. I know that this is not necessarily the case with a lot of people struggling with infertility, and I can respect that. But I was really pleased to discover just how okay I am with this news. Yay for babies!

No comments: