Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Velveteen Rabbit

Books are hugely important around our house, and we are already collecting some of our favorites to pass along to Baileys' To Come. The Velveteen Rabbit will be one of the first bigger-kid books our children read, I'm sure, though we don't have a copy yet. So when Plinky asked which book makes me nostalgic, I didn't have to think very hard!



This book had a huge impact on me. I was forever convinced that my stuffed animals could think, feel, and love. And if I didn't love them hard enough, they could be hurt. I was terrified of leaving someone out in the rain, or in a car overnight, or anywhere else their little stuffed hearts could get broken. I would rotate which animals I slept with at night so as to not leave anyone out. To this day, it pains me a little bit to see a child mistreat their toys.

At the same time, I loved this book as a kid! I still get all nostalgic when I see a collector's edition with the bunny included. *sniff*

Other things we'll have to have on hand will include all of Richard Scarry's books (Yay! Lowly Worm!) and tons of Dr. Seuss. And Pickles The Fire Cat, if I can find him (hey, look, I did!). We have bunches of classic Pooh on-hand already (none of that Disn.ey Pooh for us, thanks), and the Reader's Digest children's series we both grew up on. What are some of your favorite books from when you were a child?

Plinky is a site with blog idea prompts. Check it out, and let me know when you post so I can check you out!

No comments: